Saturday 31 March 2012

Life.



An event happened last night, which really made me think of my life, and reminded me of my own mortality. I was on a train, on a twenty minute journey to see a very close friend of mine. It was heading to Barnsley, two station stop at around 8pm. It was a last minute decision, but I thought I'd be daring and spontaneous. After the first stop, we still chugged along down the track, but then the train jolted and we stopped. A few moments later, the conductor came out from the back of the train and ran to the front. There was a man at the front getting angry shouting, saying he has to go home because he's been at work since 7am and complaining at how mediocre the train service was. The conductor then appeared again after a while, and explained that the train had run someone over on the line and they had unfortunately died. The entire train just shut up, including the complaining man. It was the strangest moment I've had in a long time. I suddenly thought of everything, how easily things in your life can change, dramatically. I fall apart at the tiniest of problems and I shouldn't. After knowing that, it was awful. We just had to sit on the train for an hour, knowing someone had just died due to our transport. And what if it had gone wrong? We could have derailed, or crashed. It could have been so much worse. I kept thinking of the situation too. What if they chose that? What if it was an accident? Or a game played by someone naive? It reminded me how lucky I am to be here, and how I need to realise I'm a good and grateful person. I will never forget last night. And I'd like to say, to the individual who was affected, Rest In Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment