Thursday 22 March 2012

Scarborough.


Two years ago, I hated this town and everyone in it. I felt trapped in an endless routine and realised I could never be the kind of person I wanted to be if I stayed. I just wanted to get out, as soon as possible. So I applied for University. No one in particular actually, just five cities I wanted to be a part of. It turns out it was the best thing I did, because I found my course, auditioned and one year ago, found out I'd be moving. Now I've lived away from home almost 8 months and believe it or not, I miss my home town. Not many people can say they spent every summer of their childhood on the beach, or looked from South Cliff at night time, seeing the amusements illuminated and the harbour calm and peaceful. And my house, my old ex council house where I've lived all my life, which I love tremendously. I can see why so many people come and spend their summer there, it's a beautiful town. And yes, some parts of it aren't the greatest. But if I can survive, so can anyone else. I'm living proof you don't have to accept what you're given to start your life. I'm from a council estate, from a normal family with a normal life, but I'm a daydreamer and I wanted more. Scarborough is the kind of town which lightens up and becomes so serene in Summer. And I miss it. I know that every summer I live away from it, I will always go back. Because it wasn't the town that drove me away, it was the people and the bad experiences I had there. Moving here has made me proud of where I'm from and my roots. Because I now know I'm lucky to have that view every time I walk down to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment